AZ Speaks 2021-2022
Arizona Humanities is now accepting applications for virtual and in-person programs taking place November 1, 2021 through October 31, 2022. See the 2021-2022 catalog for new speakers and topics. Organizations can book up to 10 AZ Speaks presentations per fiscal year.
To adapt to the evolving situation and increase accessibility, AZ Speaks will be offered both virtually and in-person. The Host Organization and the Speaker must agree in advance on the format. We will be monitoring state and federal health advisories so that we may act accordingly to protect the safety of Hosts, Speakers, and the public who attend AZ Speaks programs.
About AZ Speaks
AZ Speaks programs are hosted by AZ Speaks Speakers and cultural, educational, and nonprofit organizations. The programs span 60 minutes for virtual events and 60-90 minutes for in-person events. Bringing an AZ Speaks to your community is a great way for non-profits, libraries, educational institutions, governmental and tribal entities to enjoy interesting and engaging humanities-based programs. AZ Speaks Speakers represent a diverse range of expertise, from a variety of professional backgrounds including history, gender studies, cultural studies, and more. Speakers are selected based on their expertise and ability to offer content and insight that inspires discussion with audiences of all ages and backgrounds.
1. Go to azhumanities.org and use the online dashboard. As always, you must be registered with an account. Please note that the Application Requirements, Presentation Information, and Payment Procedures forms have all been updated.
2. Call the speaker and select the date and time for your program. You must coordinate directly with the speaker before applying online.
3. Complete and submit the online application form .
4. Arizona Humanities staff will review and approve applications. Online applications must be received 4 weeks in advance of the presentation date.
VIRTUAL: Once the program has been approved, you will receive a Zoom registration link to the program webinar. You will use the link when you market and promote the program. The link will allow participants to register for the program in advance. It will require them to enter their name and email address. Following registration, participants will receive an electronic confirmation. They will use this information to participate in the program. This process allows AH to protect the security of the program and reduce hacking, ZOOM bombing, or other program disruptions. You may not use your own ZOOM account or other virtual platform to register participants. This is strictly prohibited.
IN-PERSON: Once the program has been approved, please communicate with the Speaker regarding event logistics.
Make a Payment
After your organization has been approved to host an AZ Speaks presentation, you are ready to make a payment.
DO NOT pay for a presentation if you have not received confirmation from Arizona Humanities. If you would like to pay for an AZ Speaks presentation by credit card, please submit your contract # and date of presentation in the boxes below and click the button to pay through PayPal.
If you are interested in hosting an AZ Speaks program, please follow the steps below:
1. Review the AZ Speaks Catalog and select the speaker(s) and presentation(s) you are interested in hosting.
2. Contact the Speaker to schedule their participation. Speaker contact information is available in the Speakers Catalog under the Speaker’s Bio.
3. Determine the format of the presentation with the Speaker (virtual/in-person). If requesting an in-person program, please share with the Speaker your organization’s current COVID safety measures.
3. Apply through the Grants and Programs Dashboard and complete the online application form. You must contact the speaker and submit your application at least four weeks before the presentation is to take place.
Please bookmark the Grants and Programs Dashboard Link for quick access: https://www.grantinterface.com/Common/LogOn.aspx?urlkey=azhumanities
5. Complete Program Agreement & Make Payment, once the application has been approved. You will receive a notification of approval through an email confirmation. (Allow two weeks for your application to be processed.) The Program Agreement and $100 Cost Share fee are due one week after approval of the application. Either pay by PayPal or send a check via mail to 1242 N Central Ave, Phoenix 85004.Organizations are allowed to schedule up to 5 AZ Speaks programs per fiscal year (Nov 1 – Oct 31).
5. Manage your AZ Speaks Program through the Host Site Toolkit (below), which provides materials and resources to successfully administer, promote, and evaluate your program(s).
6. Complete Project Director Evaluation and submit Audience Evaluations through the Grants and Programs Dashboard. Project Director Evaluation is due one week after the presentation date.
Arizona Humanities requires that host organizations generate publicity for each program and make all efforts to host a well-attended program. Organizations must add the Arizona Humanities logo or the language “This program is made possible by Arizona Humanities” to all publicity materials (flyers, press release, website, postcards, etc.)
Visit our Logos page for all high-resolution logos.
The more you can share your program with different audiences, the more that people understand the role and the importance of the humanities.
Ideas to help market the program in your community:
Arizona Humanities also helps promote AZ Speaks programs to our statewide audiences.
All programs are added to the:
Selected programs are highlighted in the:
Arizona Humanities requires public acknowledgment of the programs it supports, as outlined in the terms and conditions of your award. Federal regulations stipulate that credit be given to Arizona Humanities-funded programs in all written notices, news releases, or other publicity. AZ Speaks host sites must specify that the program is made possible by Arizona Humanities. The name of Arizona Humanities and its logo must appear in a conspicuous location and be large enough to be easily legible.
All logo formats are available on the Logos page.
On the day of the presentation, please print out a poster or sign with the Arizona Humanities logo for your podium or in the room where the program will take place.
Audience Evaluations are required for each AZ Speaks program. For virtual programs, Arizona Humanities will email the audience evaluations. For in-person programs, please print and distribute to your audience on the day of the presentation. Do not modify the evaluation form without prior approval. Please note: this is not the Project Director evaluation. The Project Director evaluation is located within the on Grants and Programs Dashboard. Once completed, the audience evaluations must be uploaded into the Project Director Evaluation or mailed to the Arizona Humanities office (1242 N. Central Ave. Phoenix, AZ 85004).
Please use the NEW evaluation and discontinue use of old evaluations for audiences.
If you are creating newsletter articles, e-mails, social media posts, or press releases, here are some talking points about Arizona Humanities. This also includes a brief overview of the organization in case you find yourself needing to explain background and history of Arizona Humanities.
Sample Introduction for Host Sites
”Good [morning, afternoon, evening], and thank you all for coming today. I am pleased to introduce [Name of Speaker], an AZ Speaks presenter from Arizona Humanities.
[Read highlights from Speakers Bio]
This presentation is a program of Arizona Humanities, a non-profit organization that inspires individuals to enjoy and share a life of learning. Arizona Humanities funds the AZ Speaks programs throughout the state thanks to support from the National Endowment for the Humanities, and you.
In addition to the AZ Speaks program, Arizona Humanities supports other humanities projects like grants, community conversations, film screenings and discussion, author talks, and more. For more information about Arizona Humanities, visit www.azhumanities.org.
And now please join me in welcoming [name of Speaker] who will present, [Name of Presentation].”
Arizona Humanities offers a customizeable press release template for AZ Speaks host sites when announcing speaker presentations.
AZ Speaks Press Release Template (Word Doc)